Monday, April 13, 2015

Fun Project


Our cute little town has a cute little shop that carries some very cute little pieces of furniture etc.  It also carries some cute little paint cans by CeCe Caldwell.  The furniture prices are a bit out of our budget, but the cute colors really caught my eye as I was contemplating what splashes of color we could add to our home to freshen it up.  We have a few antiques, lots of wood and mostly neutral colors so I thought some Middleton Mustard (that's the name of the color of this project) would fit nicely.

I found this little table at a cute little antique store in our cute little town (not sure how a town our size can have THREE antique stores, but I hope they can get enough business to stay :)). My husband was not convinced that painted furniture was his "thing." {We have the best laughs teasing each other about our decorating styles...always teasing to the extreme.  I am drawn to bold/flashy/contemporary while he is drawn to stream lined/solid/consistent color - therefore we laugh about how it's a good thing we balance each other out - otherwise I might be drawn to garden gnomes and pink flamingos and him, the style of hospitals and medical clinics.  Hence, wood and neutral colors for this family! ha}

Knowing I had not spent a lot of $ on the table, plus getting a sample size of the paint (with a sample size price), made me confident that I could scheme a little.  So... I *surprised* him by painting this on one of his military weekends away.  I painted it, Adam distressed it (I surprised myself (and him, bless his heart) by being a little weird about the distressing part - after spending so much time with the paint, I got a little protective.  It was hard to see some of it scraped off - strange, I know AND I loved it in the end :)).

I then placed it back in it's original spot in the living room.  He didn't notice it immediately, but it did stop him mid sentence when his eyes caught it.  He just chuckled and shook his head.  A week later, he joked "I'm getting used to it."

This paint has virtually no fumes, is all natural and made in the USA. It is forgiving and covers blemishes amazingly well, plus NO sanding.  Yay!  Perfect for amateurs like me. This was my first project, and I've done a second, so stay tuned!

No comments: