I posted about my first little project and promised to post about the next. So here it is, as you can see I had a sweet little helper. She watches me pretty closely ;).
This table has quite a story. When we were at the seminary, we were searching the paper for a larger dining room table since ours only seated six. A sweet older couple was trying to find a home for this one, plus they wanted to sell the hutch and chairs that went with it. We really didn't need ALL that furniture for our 800 square foot seminary apartment, PLUS it had been in a fire so needed a lot of work. Honestly, after we had seen the damage, we stepped away from the couple and decided that we weren't going to take it. Chad went back into the shed with the man, and I stayed near his wife. She started visiting again, and shared with me her story about breast cancer and the fire, etc. They seemed sort of desperate to get rid of it, their grown kids didn't want it, and I can be a softy...and so I went back to Chad and said, "Let's just take it." Chad smiled at me with a surprising look. But he agreed and they offered to load the furniture and lend us their son's trailer. That was really nice, plus pretty trusting since they had just met us. Maybe couples in large white vans with five kids can be trusted? As we were loading, they added two rocking chairs, a tricycle, two children's riding toys, a bassinet, and even more chairs! As we were loading, we also learned that they were believers in Christ, closely connected to the seminary,and loved children.
We took that furniture back to the campus, found homes for what we couldn't fit and drove the trailer back. And you know what they did? They gave Chad back the check he had left with them! God is always working. He takes care of our needs and many of our wants!!
The top of the table was beginning to show some wear, so I scraped and painted it. Then Adam helped me distress it just a bit. We love it. And Chad and I have a good chuckle because I painted it black...just like it was from the fire damage, when we first brought it home. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment