Saturday, January 30, 2016

Think they're onto me?

 A few months ago, we had some friends over from our church, and I was sharing how I love to take long country drives and "explore" with the kids.  It's especially nice when we aim for naptime, the babies sleep and we take in nature.  We're in a beautiful part of the state, full of bluffs, rolling hills, tons of wildlife, beautiful fields of wheat, corn and milo (someday I'd love to have pictures taken in milo, it's so pretty); in addition to natural springs, creeks and the Republican River just a mile and a half away. 
 I was telling this couple how the boys begged me to let them explore this old country schoolhouse (a weakness of mine since I went to a country school - I love them!) and so I stayed in the van and let them take amazing pictures of the old piano, gorgeous wood, dusty lockers and grand steps.  If the walls could talk, I'm sure they'd be singing with stories of days gone by!
 Boys are created to be conquerors, and so if given a chance to conquer, they will.  The caved roof of that old schoolhouse didn't concern them a bit, the possible critters that were likely taking residence only caused them to pause.  They make me smile and bring me joy.  Now, these pictures are of a creek at a dear friend's house, because well you know, evidence and all....:) :)
 Anyway, I asked the couple, who live in the country, if they thought that it was a big deal that I happen to do this, this exploring the country "thing."  After I'm sure I confirmed my *weirdness* in their eyes, they advised me to get permission first, ha. I probably already knew the answer to that...

but my boys can run pretty fast...

and we never stay very long...

and we're just curious...

and we leave everything as is...

and we have so much more ground to cover...

and buildings to snoop through...

but people do proudly carry guns around here...

so maybe I better take a break....

SO if you see an enormous white van, slowly sleeking by on the country roads, just wave and smile and we'll just be on our merry little way :)






photos courtesy of this guy, pretty much the best "oldest brother of nine" ever, thanks Drew

No comments: