Sunday, April 3, 2011

Big Reveal This Week

Doesn't Micah look like he's eagerly anticipating something? Maybe he's excited to see who is getting the glasses this week! Check back Wednesday and I'll try to get a picture here, the excitement is almost too much to bear! *** In other news, the homeschool conference was terrific. It's always so encouraging and the kids had a blast at the children's conference...though I didn't get to see our favorite leaders. Drew won an award for being a helpful ambassador and next year will move onto observing the program so he can help with leadership the following year. Also we're looking at junior high curriculum for Drew (how did that happen?) and are going to try out a new math curriculum for him called Videotext Interactive Mathematics. If all goes well, it will be a true answer to prayer. We've used ABeka up to this point. I like math, but Drew loves it and is going to surpass my knowledge soon so we needed to get some additional help (via math nerds on DVD) to take him on into the upper levels. I visited with several vendors and was super impressed - it will also work with the other kids regardless of their skill in math because it thoroughly answers that pesky "why" of mathematics. It even incorporates some dictation and we'll be able to do it together- I'll probably learn a lot too ;). We're also tweaking a few subjects for the other kiddos. For Bible we've used our many read along bibles for the little ones, tracing for the older ones, and Drew and Adam have their own Lutheran study bible for daily reading - plus they're in preconfirmation. I'm also looking at two more supplements. One is by Clay Clarkson called Our 24 Family Ways and the other is called Bible Study Guide for All Ages by Dr. Donald and Mary Baker. Right now we love Bob Jones University curriculum for English and Reading (where they get a good dose of grammer though I have just realized this could easily be taught at a higher grade level *7th or 8th* with more ease and speed). Apologia supplies our science needs. Story of the World is our exciting history curriculum, with some supplemental materials from Sonlight. For Spelling this next year, we're going to use Spelling Power. Later this spring and this summer we're going to try a unit study on the United States (I found a neat book on culture, food, interesting facts, etc. that I'm excited about) and maybe memorize the presidents' last names (I did this in 2nd or 3rd grade for a school program). In addition to sitting in on Science and History, Isabel will focus on Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons along with some Horizons math and handwriting. We're also going to all review our handwriting this summer (think Daddy will join us?) because I tend to be a little over the top with that. So there's the dream, the grandiose plan ;)...remember I just came home from a conference so want to teach them EVERYTHING with Gusto! Now if anyone wants to donate a maid and chef, it will ALL become a reality more quickly than planned!!! *** Also I should mention that the little cutie in this post still dislikes his carseat. We even tried a different one for this longer trip. He cried from the heart of Lincoln to Grand Island, nearly two hours solid. He also decided to try a new voice setting...the scream. Bless his little heart.

3 comments:

fiveoutofafrica said...

Thanks for the hs inspiration! I'm going this year too, with three of my boys in tow. I'm ready for a shot in the arm (or summer vacation. :))

Sara said...

Wow girl... it was great talking with you last night. I hope I have as much ambition when I get back from my confernce in a few weeks:) Love you Beck... we NEED to meet up sometime, somewhere:)
Sara

Unknown said...

Becky, here is the link to the slideshow from the Kid's Conference. I caught a glimpse of several of your kids as I watched it just now. What an incredible weekend! :)

http://wissmanns.blogspot.com/2011/04/2011-nchea-kids-conference.html